RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Local companies are still on the hunt for talent in information technology and other technical fields. From Google to Merck to Blue Cross and Blue Shield and North Carolina Central University, a wide range of local employers have posted IT job openings over the last week.
The demand remains strong despite inflation, the invasion of Ukraine, surging gas prices and much more.
At the same time, national job openings recently climbed to a new record of 11.3 million. And Triangle-area job openings continue to have a decent presence on major job search websites.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- IBM: 100+ jobs in RTP/Durham
- Lenovo: 302 jobs in Morrisville
- Pendo: 59 openings in Raleigh
- Red Hat: 63 openings in Raleigh; 92 remote openings in North Carolina
- SAS: 125 openings in Cary
Every Sunday, WRAL TechWire tracks the total number of local positions posted on national job boards, then we compare it to the previous week’s count. The totals are up on several sites this week. Dice.com, which tracks tech jobs, currently shows over 1,400 more jobs in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill than it did seven days ago. Adzuna shows 1,294 more jobs in Raleigh, while Glassdoor added 744 across the RTP area. LinkedIn also has +622 jobs in Raleigh, +187 in Durham and +61 in Johnston County, compared to last week’s count.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,500 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
- University of North Carolina
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
- Cree Wolfspeed
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- Flanders PrecisionAire
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Piedmont Health Services
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Job trends update
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here is a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 49,344 jobs (-3,976 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 29,013 (+1,294)
- ⇓ Durham County: 13,232 (-445)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 3,129 (+124)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 19,831 (+479)
- ⇑ Durham: 19,685 (+471)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 19,409 (+473)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 40,319 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (+744)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 18,549 (+92)
- ⇓ Durham: 11,494 (-25)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 5,182 (-70)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 981 (-41)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 32,855 (+622), with 9,081 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 16,289 (+187), with 3,604 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,762 (+24), with 534 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,536 (+61), with 416 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 40,296 (-1,550)
- ⇑ Durham: 18,017 (+582)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,975 (+82)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 377 (+15)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (20 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (13,110 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (388 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 101 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 45 in Durham and 27 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Six local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Attindas Hygiene Partners seeks an assistant marketing manager in Raleigh.
- NC State University’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences is hiring a director of communications and marketing in Raleigh.
- Raleigh Parks posted an opening for a marketing communications analyst.
- Schneider Electric is looking to hire a marketing manager in Raleigh.
- Siemens seeks a senior marketing communications specialist in Wendell.
- Verizon is looking to add a unified communications program manager at its Cary office.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function.
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 275 jobs at 49 companies. Six new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Healthcare firm Aledade seeks a temporary clinical intern (remote or in Raleigh).
- Workforce software provider CloudFactory is looking to hire a senior strategic industries account executive in Raleigh.
- Elevate Labs, a brain training app developer, added an opening for a remote senior product marketing manager.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius seeks a remote freelance content reviewer.
- Payments software provider Spreedly is hiring a senior infrastructure engineer and a senior business intelligence analyst (remote or in Durham).
Bio Jobs Hub
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Looking to train for a job in biotech? Check out new program at Durham Tech
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 693 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America seeks a Spanish-speaking small business consultant in Durham.
- Blue Cross NC posted more than 20 new job openings in Durham, including major markets client delivery expert, senior network engineer, senior M&A advisor, CMS strategy and technology enablement director, senior reporting accountant, treasury operations manager, business analyst, marketing activation senior program manager, statutory accounting and reporting manager, reporting accountant, product owner, senior Java developer (two openings), principal data governance specialist, agent services representative, business application expert, clinical pharmacist, behavioral health episodic care manager, senior project manager, risk adjustment manager, principal business systems analyst, strategic alliances manager, senior strategic advisor of government markets, senior marketing analyst, senior data modeling analyst, senior developer and strategic advisor of government markets.
- Burt’s Bees seeks an assistant content manager in Durham.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is looking to add a streaming anchor/producer/editor and a streaming producer/editor in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union is hiring a recovery claims specialist, a card services manager, a teller and a registered financial assistant in Raleigh.
- Google, which opened an office in Durham earlier this year, is looking to add several employees in the Triangle. Local openings include cybersecurity action team program manager, Google Meet software engineer, data analytics and BigQuery technical writer, business planning product operations and strategy lead, business planning and commercialization product pricing manager, cloud security solutions consultant, business planning and pricing strategy principle, and Google Cloud security knowledge exchange technical writer. The company is also hiring for several remote-eligible positions.
- Medicago seeks a quality assurance senior associate and a senior project manager in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University posted over three dozen positions in Durham, including building trades facility maintenance technician (three openings), university program specialist, building environmental services technician (two openings), public safety supervisor, transportation and parking services assistant director, property security officer (two openings), executive assistant, housekeeping building environmental tech, lead accounts payable technician, technology support analyst (two openings), accounting technician, IT director, vehicle/equipment repair technician, mechanical trades facility maintenance technician (two openings), administrative support specialist, public communications specialist, administrative support supervisor, senior academic advisor, IT network administrator, building environmental services supervisor, sponsored research director, assistant history professor, supplemental instruction director, residential life area coordinator, human resources manager, assistant or associate history professor, and chief of staff.
- Self-Help Credit Union added an opening for an assistant property manager in Durham.
- Truist posted several openings across its Triangle-area locations:
- Apex: Teller/senior teller and financial services specialist
- Butner: Universal banker
- Cary: Universal banker
- Clayton: Senior relationship banker
- Durham: Relationship banker, senior relationship banker, quality and productivity management analyst, teller/senior teller, universal banker and financial services specialist
- Raleigh: Senior user experience designer, digital product owner and software engineer
- William Peace University is hiring an adjunct biology professor (fall 2022) and a human resources assistant in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Quality control manager at Abzena in Sanford
- Solid state scientist, senior project manager, solid state analytical scientist, senior project manager, supply chain manager, bids and contracts technical evaluations specialist, and senior computer systems validation specialist at Alcami in Durham and Morrisville
- Director of product development at Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies in Morrisville
- Clinical research nurse coordinator at Duke Cancer Center in Durham
- Research technician, SOM GMP program administration director and postdoctoral associate (three openings) at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Scientific consultant/grant writing specialist at Eva Garland Consulting in Raleigh
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including facilities maintenance technician, maintenance technician, maintenance and calibrations operations manager, technician, senior warehouse technician, associate principal scientist/lead study manager, operations manager (two openings), operations manager intern (part of the company’s veterans program), senior lab automation specialist, executive director of global sciences and technology services, maintenance/operations/supply chain intern (part of its veterans program), engineering specialist, associate operations production intern, validation engineering specialist, senior operations technician, VMF maintenance service engineer, associate director of technical operations, senior technician, senior IT quality assurance specialist, senior maintenance engineering technician and manufacturing IT agile lead.
- Research analyst at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Durham
- Preclinical study director and ophthalmology in-vivo scientist at Powered Research in Durham/RTP
- Manufacturing associate at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Postdoctoral research associate at UNC Chapel Hill’s Institute for Convergent Science
- Assistant director at UNC Chapel Hill’s KickStart Venture Services
- Chemistry research associate at 5Metis in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
Several local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Technical training provider INE is hiring for several roles at its Cary office. Openings include email marketing specialist, client relations specialist, customer support specialist, defensive cybersecurity engineer and DevOps engineer (remote options available).
- Computer hardware manufacturer OnLogic is looking to expand its Cary office. The company posted several job openings, including account manager, SEO content writer, director of continuous improvement, network and system engineer, firmware engineer, applications engineer, senior software engineer, partner alliance manager, recruiter, IT business analyst, business development executive, senior product manager of edge servers and account executive.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 182 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. Over a dozen new jobs were posted in the last week:
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, is hiring a junior front-end developer and a junior platform developer in Raleigh.
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, seeks a data quality control associate/data reviewer, a research technician in performance testing and an accounting clerk.
- Raleigh-based software firm Pendo, which recently revealed plans to hire 400 people in 2022, posted openings for a lead data program manager, a conversion optimization manager, a technical account manager, a senior director of sales development, a business systems analyst (finance and HR systems), a brand web designer and a brand designer.
- Rasgo, a data science platform, added a remote job opening for a developer advocate/technical evangelist.
- Parking platform Secure Parking USA seeks a part-time brand ambassador in Raleigh.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems is looking to hire an RTSM project manager in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,398 jobs at 97 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Aledade (Raleigh, Wake Forest)
- Bank of America (Durham)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- CloudFactory (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Google (Durham)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Secure Parking USA (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (Apex, Cary, Clayton, Durham, Raleigh, Wake Forest)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 11,009 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 8,599 are technology jobs, 1,305 are advanced manufacturing positions, 369 are in cleantech and 736 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from March 8):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Jobs at Other Local Employers
New Jobs at Rho
Rho, a contract research organization in Research Triangle Park, told TechWire last month that the firm is ready to expand its team after a year of successful growth in business development. The company has several open positions listed on its website, with some offering $10,000 sign-on bonuses. Read more and apply here.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
In January, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the Triangle area after adding more than 20 people to its team last year. Currently at 78 employees, Terra Dotta anticipates adding nearly two dozen new hires this year as it builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“Fortunately, we’re in a good position as interest in global engagement continues to grow,” Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says. “2021 was a record year for Terra Dotta, in spite of the pandemic, and we are entering an exciting growth phase. We plan to hire 20+ more people in 2022 across the entire organization and are looking at a 100+ headcount this time next year.”
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development and client support teams. Read more and apply here.
“We always try to hire in the Triangle area first and then move to hiring remote if we can’t fill the position locally/hybrid,” Rotoli added. “Competition is steep for new talent.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Hospitality Hiring Hour: Every Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
Application Deadline: Carolina Startup Connect Student Internship Funding: March 23
This internship funding program will provide funding to UNC students who pursue unpaid or underfunded summer internships with established local startups and social ventures. Both students and startups can apply for funding.
2022 UNC Cleantech Summit Career Fair: March 31, 1-4 p.m.
This virtual career fair will be held in conjunction with the eighth annual UNC Cleantech Summit. (More information here.)
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: April 21, 3-6 p.m. (online)
North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for job seekers in the life science field. Participating employers include Biogen, Grifols, GSK, Merck, Seqirus, Thermo Fisher Scientific and others.
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The newly launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.)
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: